Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Automatic Feeders Cats/Dogs


Routine is important to animals. Since my schedule varies from day to day, and Miso cannot be free fed, I have purchased an automatic feeder to deposit food for her twice daily. She always knows when to expect her meals and she will usually greet her new issue with exuberance.

Even though this handy little gadget was quite pricey, early on I learned that there are problems with it. Although battery operated (and the batteries last a long time - 6 months or so!), once in awhile the little turn shaft that rotates the feedings will stick, leaving Miso wanting. I learned about the glitch when I walked in to my home one day from a busy overnight, and she was meowing for food (which she rarely does!).

Now I am careful to check the level after every feeding and smooth out the top of the food at the receptacle. That way, when the next deposit is made, a dent in the food will be observed. If the top of the food is still level after it was programmed to drop, I am aware of the malfunction and can feed Miso myself, albeit late.

To repair a stuck feeder, empty out the food and tip it upside down. Jiggle the turn shaft a bit to unloosen any particles that might be in the way of allowing it to function correctly.

I never rely on this handy instrument to feed Miso on those rare occasions that I am on vacation. I hire a pet sitter to look in on her once a day and have her check the feeder as described above.
.

No comments: