Saturday, February 27, 2010

Easily Entertained

I recently changed my newest cat's name from Charlie to "Sparky". It suits him much better now that I have gotten to know him.

Sparky has been entertaining himself with a "toy" for the last hour as I've been catching up on computer work. What is interesting is that, although I have lots of little mice & bird like toys lying around, Sparky decided that an old left over, green stubbed carrot top is the best invention since sliced turkey.

He has been batting it around and anticipating its fight or flight as Miso watches the drama unfold. I sometimes wonder if he isn't imagining small, voluntary movements coming from it.

Miso is a creative warrior, as well. All it takes is the sound of a crumpling sticky note to illicit her killer instict. She is often seen abrubtly flying across the room in the middle of a good snooze as soon as the paper crumpling concludes in an escaping wad, springing overhead.

Once the crumpled transgressor is caught,  I've seen Miso staring over it daring it to move. If I didn't know better, I'd testify that it moves on its own for her pure pleasure. After staring at it for a few seconds, she bats at it, seemingly to keep it in line and force it to do something, anything, so she can respond in that cute cat way.

My cats are spending me out of house and home with their feeding habits of prepared raw food. So far this year, I've spent more on their care than on my own groceries. I guess that is fair since there are two of them. I'm thankful that, they are at least low maintenance in regard to "toys".

.

No comments: