Friday, December 4, 2009

Kitty Kat Update




Here is a photo of Charlie who is almost as big as Miso. He is not yet 5 months old but is as big as many small breed full grown cats. It is the Maine Coone mix, I think. He is also very mellow which is typical of the breed.

They both have full run of the house now, even at night when I am away on overnights. I do think they enjoy each others' company, although Miso does hiss and whack now and again as Charlie wants to play with  her. Miso hasn't learned to play with him yet. I get them playing with the feather flyer frequently to facilitate this in hopes that it will lead to more organically induced play.

TRAINING TO CUDDLE
I am also hoping they will be cuddle buddies at some point. To this end I have been feeding them a small amount of daily "treats". I put the kibble in one dish so they have to get very close to one another while enjoying it. Hopefully, this will lead to them enjoying closeness at other times during the day. One day I intend to display a photo of them cuddling each other.

FOOD & WATER
I use "Before BG grain" brand Salmon kibble as reinforcements but not much of it.  It is good stuff. They go CRAZY over it but I prefer they eat a raw diet which I purchase exclusively from Mantis on Michigan Ave in Ypsi. Miso likes to drink from a glass so I keep it full for Charlie and her. 

WEIGHT
I have been struggling with Miso's weight since day one. She has now finally trimmed up to the perfect weight in my opinion.  When you pick her up she feels spungy, not hard, in the stomache. I've accomplished her weight loss by keeping her on a raw food diet. Mantis sells me frozen patties that her and Charlie share daily. They are able to self monitor, as the food has no addictive properties and they only eat when they are hungry. And, of course, when I  offer them a small amount of kibble to reinforce their closeness.

.

No comments: